‘The challenges our planet faces – particularly climate change and sustainable economic development – are global in nature and so require global solutions.
The building sector, which consumes as much as 40% of the world’s energy, 12% of its water and contributes 40% of the waste sent to landfill, is a major part of this global problem. However, the building sector can be an even bigger part of the solutions.
As we live in one world, we have a collective responsibility to work together to achieve change around the globe. The World Green Building Council is working within the Asia-Pacific region to promote the benefits of sustainable building practices, and Malaysia has embraced the potential of green building. International research confirms that green buildings consume less energy, less water, and generate less waste, and create a healthy and productive environment for employees.
Green building practices can reduce a building’s operating costs by as much as 9%, increase building values by 7.5% and realize a 6.6% increase in return on investment. So, green building won’t just make sound ecological and environmental sense – they make sound economic sense too.’
Chairman, World Green Building Council
Why Green Building?
A Green building focuses on increasing the efficiency of resource use – energy, water, and materials – while reducing building impact on human health and the environment during the building’s lifecycle, through better sitting, design, construction, operation, maintenance, and removal.
- Green buildings are designed to save energy and resources, recycle materials and minimize the emission of toxic substances throughout its life cycle.
- Green buildings harmonies with the local climate, traditions, culture and the surrounding environment.
- Green buildings are able to sustain and improve the quality of human life whilst maintaining the capacity of the ecosystem at local and global levels.
- Green buildings make efficient use of resources, have significant operational savings and increases workplace productivity.
- Building green sends the right message about a company or organization – that it is well run, responsible, and committed to the future.